Monday 28 May 2007

Rabbits sir, faahsands of 'em

A cycling trip like this is great if you're into birds or wildlife (which I'm not in particular) My best sight was at 7am, cycling out of Carrbridge on the old A9 (a bit of road being used as a cycle path), of a deer standing 50 yards in front of me in the middle of the road. Or perhaps the many hawks hovering above the road, swooping down into the fields nearby. And is it true that there are more rabbits in Britain than humans? It certainly seemed like it, and I only saw ones that lived near the road.

The roadkill count:

2 badgers
1 fox
1 deer
Many rabbits, including one clearly a pet
Hedgehogs
Squirrels
Crows
Rats

But not these:



This was on the A6 north of Preston, at rush hour. Unfortunately my camera angle doesn't show the line of cars held up behind this - if I'd got a good picture of that it might have been newsworthy.

On a similar note, here are nice pics of a swan and cygnets, on the canal between Taunton and Bridgwater:


You see, I'm a bit more fluffy than you expect.

No comments: